DXM, Dex, Robo, Tussin, Skittles, Robitussin (HBr), Delsym (polistirex))
1-1.5mg/kg HBr (60-90mg @ 60kg/130lbs)
1.5-30mg/kg HBr (90-180mg @ 60kg/130lbs)
3.0-7.5mg/kg HBr (180-450mg @ 60kg/130lbs)
7.5-14.0mg/kg HBr (450-840mg @ 60kg/130lbs)
14.0-20.0mg/kg HBr (840-1,200mg @ 60kg/130lbs)
30.0mg/kg+ HBr (1,800 @ 60kg/130lbs)
HBr: 20-60 minutes | Polistirex: 40-120 minutes
HBr: 20-60 minutes | Polistirex: 40-80 minutes
HBr: 2-6 hours | Polistirex: 4-12 hours
HBr: 2-6 hours | Polistirex: 4-12 hours
HBr: 12-48 hours | Poli: 24-96 hours
HBr: 6-12 hours | Polistirex: 12-24 hours
Work in progress.
Dextromethorphan, a common ingredient in cough syrups, cough gels, and occasionally found as a pure powder, is a dissociative hallucinogen of the morphinan class with unique dissociative effects. It goes by many different names and is legal in many places with easy over-the-counter access. Use has spanned over 50 years as of 2020, and continues to maintain its status as a relatively common drug medicinally. It is often mistaken for codeine and promethazine, even though those are very different substances.
First thing's first, make sure your method of ingestion has no other active ingredients, particularly acetaminophen. If your preparation contains dextromethorphan & guaifenesin and nothing else, whileit is technically safe to consume, it is strongly advised to get a syrup containing purely DXM. Guaifenesin is known to cause extreme nausea and diarrhea. If it contains doxylamine succinate with DXM and no other ingredients, the experience will take on deliriant properties, and extreme caution is recommended with this mixture. Chlorpheniramine, the ingredient found in triple C's, can raise heart rate heavilyin high enough doses. Psuedoephedrine is also able to do this, so mixtures with either substance should be avoided.
As per usual with all hallucinogens, dissociatives being a subcategory of those, one should have a good set & setting before dosing. With DXM, it is advised to follow the one week per plateau system to minimize harm done. The plateaus are listed corresponding to the dosage, light is 1st, common is 2nd, strong is 3rd, and heavy is 4th. The week per plateau rule states to take 1 week off for each plateau you reach.
Some people are deficient in an enzyme necessary for processing dextromethorphan and have the drug last significantly longer for them, with significantly stronger effects. It is recommended to take a small dose before using DXM for your first time to see if you are enzyme deficient.
Heavy DXM use can be stressful to the body and mind. If one plans to use it, they should do so sparingly.
Note about HBr and Polistirex
It is generally stated that 2mg of DXM Polisterix (DXM Poli) is equipotent to 1mg of DXM Hydrobromide (DXM HBr), with the duration being about twice as long. This can also apply to the afterglow (or more rarely, hangover), as the aftereffects may also scale in duration to dosage and whether or not you're using the longer-lasting Polisterix or the shorter-acting HBr.
Trip sitting advice
Realize that the person you are sitting may be much more reactive to certain things that they would not be reactive to while sober. It is also possible for emotional responses to be blunted under the influence of dissociatives. Trip-sitting someone on a first or a lower second plateau is generally unnecessary unless it's their first time or they're sensitive to DXM's effects.
Music can help transform the vibe of a trip, since DXM has particularly distinct musical enhancement, especially on the 2nd plateau. This can either be positive or negative, so try to pick music that would not disturb the mental status of the person undergoing the experience.
These will differ from person to person, no two experiences are entirely alike.
Next to the name of the effect will be an expected minimum plateau to experience this effect.
- Cognitive Euphoria [1st+] :: A mild to strong sense of mental wellbeing and euphoria can emerge, particularly in the 2nd plateau.
- Music Enhancement [1st-Low 3rd] :: Users report music sounding enhanced from 1st plat to low 3rd. This effect persists into the next day. Music enhancement may continue beyond the 3rd plateau, but it becomes much less consistent.
- Media Enhancement [1st+] :: Media in general may seem more interesting or creative under the influence of DXM.
- Sedation [Higher 2nd+] :: Users may feel sedated proportionate to dosage. This is outweighed by stimulation until the upper end of the 2nd plateau.
- Stimulation [1st-Mid 2nd] :: Users may feel a sense of stimulation, though by reaching the 3rd plateau this is extremely likely to just become sedation.
- Physical Euphoria [1st+] :: Users report a tingling sensation in the hands, shoulders, and legs. Numbness and decreased sensivity to pain and temperature are also common
- Nostalgia enhancement [1st+] :: Users can report feeling a greater feeling of appreciation for the past than they otherwise would have.
- Disinhibition [1st+] :: At all plateaus, a user can expect to be effectively disinhibited. The higher the plateau, the more disinhibited.
- Empathy enhancement
- Immersion enhancement
- Feeling of lightness
- Feeling of being pulled backwards
- Visual distortion
Visual lagging and strong double vision are common, as well as the feeling that ones vision is drifting. Objects may appear as though they are very slowly moving on their own.
- Lowered libido
- Lowered appetite
This effect commonly persists into the next day
- Increased Blood Pressure [1st+] :: DXM can increase blood pressure moderately.
- Nausea [1st+] :: It is a very common effect, particularly from injesting gel capsules. Ways to mitigate this is to ingest it as carefully as possible and have a chaser afterward.
- Heart palpitations [1st+] ::
- Dysphoria and panic attacks [1st+] :: May occur at higher doses even in experienced users. Cannabis use on DXM may also lead to panic attacks.
- Psychosis may rarely occur in people predisposed to mental disorders. Some of DXM's effects may seem to replicate symptoms of psychosis, including mania and auditory hallucinations (auditory hallucinations can occur on high doses).